About Sisters on Samui
“We have a responsibility to help those who have helped us.”
Sisters on Samui (SOS) is a not-for-profit organisation bringing together the women who live on the island. We aim to support those in need on Samui through outreach, fundraising and events.
SOS was formed in 1997 by a group of women who were living on the island. The ladies arranged to meet for monthly lunches and raised funds for charity. One of the first big contributions to the Samui community included the donation of an incubator to the babies ward at Samui Hospital.
More than 20 years later the group continues to bring together women for social lunches every month, and has provided financial support to the Samui community including the Samui Hospital, the Samui Prison and Samui Rescue.
Coronavirus COVID-19 kills in different ways.
We are fortunate on Koh Samui that the number of infected people is very low (7 according to current statistics) *as of 28th April zero cases* and so far no deaths. So we are very fortunate.
However, what a number of us do not realise is the devastation this is causing. Thousands of Thais and Burmese, who live on Samui now have no means of support.
This is the reality right now here – these locals, are hotel workers, restaurant workers, chefs, cleaners, barmen, gardeners, taxi drivers – they have lost their job and as we all know in Thailand, most of them will come here to work and send money home to their parents/children/family.
Last week Sisters on Samui started handing out food packages containing rice and basic shopping items. The first day we saw so many people shy to say they were hungry and can’t feed themselves.
No Job, No money, No food!
This is where you can help.
We need donations to buy essentials, RICE, NOODLES, FISH SAUCE, EGGS, COOKING OIL and even such essential items as BABY FOOD, NAPPIES, SANITARY ITEMS
If you can help in any way please donate to our GoGetFunding page
Please note that we are only at the start of this problem with nothing happening until May at the earliest. So PLEASE, PLEASE help now and if possible on a regular basis so we can fight this problem together and be proud that when the time came we stepped up to help.
#feedsamui #lovesamui #sistersonsamui #samuicommunity
What do we do?
Making life safer, and easier one day at a time.
Community Outreach Projects
This year we are providing much needed support to displaced workers and their families in Koh Samui who are suffering due to the sharp decline in international tourist arrivals due to COVID-19.
Our 4 key community outreach projects include:
- Feed Samui – we are providing food and essentials to displaced workers and their families
- Community Gardens – encouraging self sufficiency in villages by growing and harvesting their own fresh vegetables and fruit
- Water for Life – helping communities in need to develop safe and sustainable water sources
- Charity Shop – we’re creating a space for people to come together and give back
Community Events and Fundraising
Our social events provide an opportunity for women on the island to meet up and network. Our monthly luncheons are held at various resorts and restaurants around the island – which is a great way to make new friends, get some friendly tips about life on the island, and at the same time support local businesses. Each event raises much needed money to support our projects.
Events to look forward to:
- The SOS Ladies Luncheon is held on the 3rd Wednesday of every month
- We host a special Christmas Ladies Luncheon every December – it’s often a traditional menu with fantastic raffle prizes
- We love being part of the Chi Charity Gala Dinners – it’s a great excuse to get dressed up, enjoy a glass of bubbles and dance the night away
- Throughout the year we will host other events where the men are invited to join us.
- Keep an eye on our events page for more details